|Managing Service and Manufacturing Operations|
Premium content available for purchase is identified in the left-hand Navigation Menu by the asterisk (*) which precedes the content name. Premium content on this OLC includes:
- Self-Assessment Exercises (Course-wide content)
- Test Your Knowledge (Course-wide content)
- McFarlane Companies (Course-wide content)
- McFarlane Video Quizzes (Course-wide content)
- Stock Market Game (Course-wide content)
- Podcasts (Course-wide content)
- Destination CEO Video Quiz (Chapter content)
- Destination CEO quizzes (Chapter content)
- Narrated Slides (Chapter content)
- iPod Content (Chapter content)
- EOC Videos (streaming) (Chapter content)
- EOC Video Quizzes (Chapter content)
After reading this chapter, you will be able to:
- Define operations management, and differentiate between operations and manufacturing.
- Explain how operations management differs in manufacturing and service firms.
- Describe the elements involved in planning and designing an operations system.
- Specify some techniques managers may use to manage the logistics of transforming inputs into finished products.
- Assess the importance of quality in operations management.
- Evaluate a business's dilemma and propose a solution.